Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chapter 23-07: Virgin Twitter Event - #TweetTuesday

Woah. Just got back from my FIRST ever Twitter event. Never did know that social media can be so serious and so impactful. Well, that was before I joined BLUE and started ramping through heaps of data regarding measuring social medias and the value it bring to the company and the brand.

The experience was great. I would say it is the most insightful 1.5 hours of my life. Am so glad that I could get some pointers from the experts that are in the field for a long time compared to me showing to the juniors, or in my case the newbie their battle scars and their experience with it. What is good and what is bad.

Desiree Goh (@thelensmen) spoke about her experience in running the company’s account. Which is fairly beneficial for me and my colleague - Nuttakorn (@nuttakorn), since we are put in charge of our company’s account (@BlueSingapore).

“The company needs a voice of its own.”

This sets me thinking, what should be BLUE’s voice? If it is too formal and too professional, people might not engage the company as frequent as possible. If the profile is too overly chatty and not constructive towards what the company is doing, people will just unfollow it in the end. *Dilemma…*

On the other hand, I’ve made a couple of friends from the event as well.

Carl (@CarlGriffth) has a long experience in social media. He actually initiated the first twitter event 1.5 years ago. That time, I think I’ve just registered my twitter account because other people are doing so. And like many others wondering what is so great about looking at heaps of text updates. Carl also started his own company and utilized the social media to get the best out of it. Maybe Alan (alan_phua) and Verleen (@verleengoh) can get some insights and tips from him =)

Robin (@robin_low) is currently perusing his PhD at Harvard in Digital Communications. He gave me a lot of idea and clarified some of the myths I’ve been having. He actually created a twitter account for his pet cat after much inspiration from his friend when he was overseas. And his cat’s account has more followers than him. That idea excites me and motivates me to try and start an account for the company’s pet chinchilla (Yes. BLUE has a pet chinchilla running around sometimes to make it livelier) and tweet about random things in the company and create a fun identity that is embedded in BLUE’s company culture.

On my side, I think I will start another account twitter about more influential and useful stuff. Currently my account (@fernyit) is tweeting about news that I’m interested in, sharing articles and also some other random stuff. My followers might feel confused as well as they might be expecting different things. I will also come up with a new blog real soon. Originally was suppose to debut last week, but I still have some things to learn in order to utilize and unleash the full potential of the digital media.

It was a great and insightful evening. Btw, Myat (@MgGuGu), Jason (@jasonscliew) and me are entering the Lufthansa social media case challenge. Wish us luck =)

Once again Thank You Zam(@omgzam) for organizing and The Garden Slug (@thegardenslug) for the awesome food! We will go back some time soon in the future.

Heading to bed soon! Good night people!

No comments:

Post a Comment